I Am Ready to Go... but not really

When I woke in the hospital post surgery I was acutely aware that I no longer had use of the part of my body below my arms. At the time it didn't really phase me. I mean, I'd seen people in wheelchairs before. I knew that they got around well and some were doing incredible things. So naturally I thought I would pull the numerous tubes from my body, hop into a chair and get to work. For some reason I was certain I would be creating more images right away and those images would be more relevant than ever before. Then I was going to visit all the people I knew giving out hugs and letting them know how they influenced me, and also spend time with family and friends. There was this drive to put all all my effort and energy into creating positive change in the world. The reality was I wasn't ready to go.

 The accident was traumatic. Not only had I fractured several vertebrae and severed my spinal cord, I had broken ribs, collapsed a lung, scalped my head, received a concussion, and come to the Hospital in a hypothermic state, and for the record driving a wheel chair, and moving around with only the use of my arms is not as simple as one might think. None of these things alone do you just stand up and walk away from. Or in my case wheel away from. The truth was this was going to take time.

I struggler with this daily. I want to be out there creating, connecting, and being, but the truth is it's going to take time before I am up and running...

Status report - I came home Tuesday March 31, 2020. I heard birds chirping outside my window and cried. I have been sleeping the best I have since the accident. My sister Miriam has come to help Jacki with the caregiving. The modifications that have been done to the house are incredible and the folks that donated their time are amazing! We can't thank you enough. I have started at-home therapy and will continue to until out patient is available. Everyday is filled with ups and downs, the downs can be pretty low, but I am supported by family, friends, and complete strangers, and it all contributes to noticeable improvement every day. I am still blown away and humbled by the extensive care. That's it for now. Many, many thanks.

See you out there,

Louis

Comments

  1. Every day I check your blog (bookmarked)-I am always dissapointed when there is nothing new but when you come through WOW! I never cease to be amazed and rejoice at your progess-Keep on truckin

    The other Jackii

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Louis. This is your cousin Kendel from Denver. I heard about your accident and am so glad you're out of the hospital and have the support of such a wonderful group of people around you. I am inspired by your strength and perseverance. I'll check in on this blog to see how you're doing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'm a Mess!